Wednesday, June 9, 2010

skin grafts

For those who, like is my early experience, are consumed with guilt over fighting their own battles with sin and trying (key word) to be good enough, polite enough, and pious enough, here are a couple of texts I have been thinking about.

They serve as a reminder for me that I live Christ's life, breathe his breath, walk his walk.

Saying to "let go" seems too trite in this case.

"Back off," maybe.

Oh well.

The tree of life my soul hath seen,
Laden with fruit and always green:
The trees of nature fruitless be
Compared with Christ the apple tree.

His beauty doth all things excel:
By faith I know, but ne'er can tell
The glory which I now can see
In Jesus Christ the apple tree.

For happiness I long have sought,
And pleasure dearly I have bought:
I missed of all; but now I see
'Tis found in Christ the apple tree.

I'm weary with my former toil,
Here I will sit and rest awhile:
Under the shadow I will be,
Of Jesus Christ the apple tree.

This fruit doth make my soul to thrive,
It keeps my dying faith alive;
Which makes my soul in haste to be
With Jesus Christ the apple tree.

- anon, 1700s

Kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Christ ever with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me
Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me
Christ to my right side, Christ to my left side
Christ in his breadth, Christ in his length, Christ in depth
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks to me
Christ in every eye that sees me
Christ in every ear that hears me.

- attributed to St. Patrick

No comments: